Do you own one of these super adorable bunny jellycats? :3
They are very cute and cuddly aren't they?
Where are they from?
Manufactured by JellyCat, London, UK (United Kingdom) established in 1999, these jellycats are sold globally and have become the best friends of many moms and dads :3
They are the best sellers [Bashful Bunny with Long Floppy Ears] and have largely dominated the bunny plush market.
For buyers in Singapore, they can be found in Tangs
Who are they?
The bashful bunny jelly cat is one of the most popular friends we see here at the soft toy hospital and how could it possibly be otherwise with such cuddly features? :3
Sold in many different sizes
- Tiny - H13 W6 cm
- Small - H18 W9 cm
- Medium - H31 W12 cm
- Large - H36 W15 cm
- Huge - H51 W21 cm
- Really Big - H67 W31 cm
- Very Big - H108 W46 cm
And two very common variation
The blossom comes with floral fabric at the base of the feet and the base of the ears.
Construction of a Bunny Jelly Cat
They are made of a soft long fur fabric with hard eyes and a semi soft fabric/felt/velvet nose. And the body comprises of a main body connected to the head, with separated limbs and ears. Stuffing between the body and the limbs are separate as the limbs are sewn shut when connecting it to the body.
The only factory seam in a Jelly Cat (the hole where stuffing is inserted at the factory) sits at the back of the soft toy and can be found on the back seam. The limbs do not have factory openings as they are stuffed prior to attachment to the main body.
Care information from the manufacturer
According to Jelly Cat, the care information for the bunnies are:
Hand wash only; do not tumble dry, dry clean or iron. Not recommended to clean in a washing machine.
Let us explain:
1) These bunnies have hard components (the eyes) and thus tumbling dry may cause long term damage to the eyes through nicks, dents and breakage caused by smacking of the hard eyes against hard surfaces of the tumble dry machine (washing machine)
2) No ironing for furry fabrics as they are usually made of polyester fibers which are not heat tolerant and would melt
So, then, how do I care for my Bunny?
Common Issues with a Jellycat Bunny
Jellycat bunnies, like all other soft toys, tends to have weight loss issues over time from stuffing compaction. Read more about weight loss here
However, there are two very common issues seen
- Jelly cats tends to have droopy heads frequently due to their heavy and big heads (their big ears add a lot of weight) and they also have small necks that do not support the weight well. This would take a lot of stuffing adjustments and top up for an upright head over the long run. A droopy head would be the more frequent occurrence.
- Jelly cats have skinny limbs. Their limbs are separate from the main body and makes stuffing loosening, top up and replacement a very difficult and labor intensive affair. Additionally, the connecting parts of the limbs are also very skinny, so having skinny limbs is frequent.
Repairing the droopy heads would involve either
(1) Frequent weight/ stuffing adjustment
(2) Inserting hard support within the bunny
and repairing the skinny limbs would involve either
(1) Frequent weight/ stuffing adjustment
(2) Attaching the limbs to the main body as part of the main body
Jelly cat bunnies should be hand washed. But we do not advise hand washing the whole bunny (with all the stuffing within intact) for sizes Huge - H51 W21 cm and above as they tend to hold water and don't dry well at that size.
Wash the stuffing and the body separate, or use a spray extraction cleaner.
If machine wash is really required due to circumstances, we recommend trying the following
1) Wrap the bunny head in a thick towel and secure with a fabric elastic hair tie (long type) to protect the head
2) Place the bunny in a laundry bag to limit stretch and possibly damage from getting stuck in machine parts
3) Wash with adequate cushioning inside the machine (pillows, towels, blankets)
4) Wash on cold setting (no hot water)
The most commonly requested care set for the Bunny Jelly Cat consists of
- Limb attachment modification (allowing access to all the limbs from the main body)
- Zip Installation (to easily top up, move head stuffing, move stuffing, take out stuffing for wash)
- Fur Combing
Do you have additional concerns with your jellycat?
Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org now with pictures for an assessment :3 Or contact us here!